Do you want to enjoy a low-carb way of pizza? So why don’t try this Low-Carb Easy Pizza Stuffed Peppers! You’ll love this recipe which is so easy to make and has all the delicious flavors inside it- sweet bell peppers, onions, sausage, pepperoni, and cheese!
That’s the perfect keto-friendly dinner for your whole family. It’s a simple low-carb dish of bell-peppers stuffed with flavorful pizza toppings covered under a yummy cheesy layer!
How to Make Low-Carb Easy Pizza Stuffed Peppers?
Once you have the ingredients gathered, this recipe for pizza stuffed peppers comes together fairly quickly. There are a few pre-bake steps — like browning the sausage and chopping the veggies. But once the filling is assembled, the rest of the cooking times is hands-off in the oven.
At first, you have to prep your bell peppers by cutting them in half. Remove the seeds inside the bell-peppers. You can use any color bell pepper you like; I went with a combination. The red, orange and yellow peppers tend to be sweeter than the standard green bell peppers — so choose what you like.
I also recommend to bake or steam the peppers to soften them up before filling them. The easiest way to do this is to pop them in the oven with a covering of aluminum foil to soften while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
While the peppers are softening, prepare the filling. Remove the sausage from the casings and brown in a large skillet over medium heat. You can use a spatula or a wooden spoon to break up the sausage into smaller pieces while it cooks. After it has browned, remove it to a large bowl.
In the same pan, sauté the sliced mushrooms and onions. After they are nice and caramelized, add them to the bowl with the sausage. To the same bowl, add some tomato sauce, shredded cheese, and seasonings. Spoon the filling mixture into the empty pepper halves. Top with even more cheese and pepperoni.
All that’s left to do is bake the peppers until the filling is melted and golden brown.
Making Stuffed Peppers in a Slow Cooker
You could even make this recipe is a slow cooker. To do this, follow the recipe all the way up until you’ve stuffed the peppers and are ready to put them back into the oven. Don’t top them with the shredded cheese and pepperoni just yet!
Instead of putting them into the oven, put them into a slow cooker set on low for 5-6 hours (or high for 2.5-3 hours). Once the peppers are soft, sprinkle with cheese and top with pepperoni. Cover again, and cook for another 15-20 minutes, just to melt the cheese.
How to Store Low-Carb Easy Pizza Stuffed Peppers?
This recipe is great to make ahead or use for keto meal prepping — because I really do think that the leftovers taste even better the next day.
Any leftovers you have can be kept in the fridge for 3 days. They reheat well in the microwave.
Low-Carb Easy Pizza Stuffed Peppers
Try this Low-Carb Easy Pizza Stuffed Peppers! You’ll love this recipe which is so easy to make and has all the delicious flavors inside it- sweet bell peppers, onions, sausage, pepperoni, and cheese! The perfect keto-friendly dinner for your whole family. It’s a simple low-carb dish of bell-peppers stuffed with flavorful pizza toppings covered under a yummy cheesy layer!
- 4 bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Place the halved peppers cut side up in a greased baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes while you make the filling.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Once cooked, remove it to a large bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in the same pan, and add the onions and mushrooms. Season with salt, and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add to the same bowl with the sausage.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the tomato sauce, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, and fill each half with the sausage mixture. Top with the rest of the mozzarella and pepperoni. Bake for 15 minutes until the peppers are done and the cheese is melted.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345 Total | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 0g | Unsaturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 958mg | Carbohydrates: 11g |Fiber: 2g |Sugar: 5g |Protein: 19g